Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Up North

Before I took for China I went to Kiruna at the top of Sweden to see the Northern Lights. Or try to. (I didn't see them)
Abisko Station is reportedly one of the best places in the world to see the Aurora, as the huge lake is big enough to affect cloud cover and often creates "windows" in the clouds to see the lights from. I had been keeping track of nightly activity here for weeks and feeling pretty excited. On the day I got there locals were saying how conditions were perfect for a big show. So I wandered around all night in -22F, with only occasional trips back indoors to thaw out. No dice. The next two nights were overcast. Strike out. Maybe next time I'm above the arctic circle in februrary I'll have better luck...

Some cool stuff I did see: the overall aesthetic of arctic living, this railtrack bicycle, sled dogs, spit freezing before it hits the ground, and the ice hotel.


As far as gimmicks go, the ice hotel has a great one. They build it new every year in different configurations because it melts every summer. Everything is made of ice and snow except for some LED lighting which is used to great effect. The snow beds are covered with reindeer hide with down sleeping bags on top. The shared sauna and fancy bathrooms aren't made out of ice.

This lovely room could be yours for $479 per night.

Themed rooms add an interesting touch. Here is one that I wouldn't be keen to stay in.

The famed Absolut Ice Bar, where they serve comically overpriced cocktails in ice glasses, knowing you won't be able to resist cause it's the arctic ice bar and you've gotta try it... Thanks to Fredrick, introduced to me by a bball teammate and super host in Kiruna. And the only dude above the arctic circle driving a Cadillac sedan i might add.



I stayed at a hostel that also had a kennel of dogs that did sled trips. I could swing one of those ($!) but I took the dog for a walk with some skis on and apporximated the experience.



3 comments:

  1. Report to Sleepshop! Did this guy show up?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiyPqbyHXIg

    "Fish, plankton, sea greens, and protein from the sea..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - again very impressed -

    so stark, so many white and blue colors over there

    any green or burgundy?

    you ever get a easter sunday - pastel tones in the vodka bar

    kevin

    ReplyDelete