Sunday, January 31, 2010

Winter Time


It's cold in Karlskrona, and we're having more snow than locals have seen in ten years. We're having more snow than some of my classmates have seen ever. Pravin and Samuel, from India and Guatemala respectively, hadn't seen snow till it arrived. Sledding with them was great. The above picture is looking out my living room window. The picture below is of Shala, who is from Iran, moments before her first sledding experience. Note the awesome! handmade sled/barge constructed by Nathan, old skis screwed into a shipping pallet.



This is a picture of the Baltic Sea. What is it with me and places where the oceans freeze? Reminds me of the beautiful beaches in Wakkanai...


Here is the Baltic again, this time hosting some friendly neighborhood pick up hockey.


This is my standard winter outfit. The glasses were purchased for joke/costume purposes, but have been conscripted into regular use after the loss of my others. The hat, which is incredibly warm but also a little ostentatious in its own right, does little to make the glasses less conspicuous.


I was going strong on biking in the winter, but then the internal gear shift on my back wheel froze. And then it really started snowing. Here's my street before another 10cm or so dropped last night.


Cross country skiing could potentially become my favorite winter pursuit if I could learn how to turn.


I didn't fall a lot, but when I did it was often at fair speed, as a substitute for turning, and resulted in faceplants.

3 comments:

  1. i am your biggest fan -

    it seems to me you have signed on for a year of pure international fun

    but what else is going on?

    you should do like i do, throw in a few entries, where you are looking sort of down and out and contemplating the frailty of your own existence, while you plod along on some futile project -

    what i am saying is - don't bullshit a bullshitter - i know there is some dark ass shit going on over there,

    don't they have the highest suicide rates in europe

    lets see some of that...

    curran

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more things change, the more you seem to find yourself bundled up against the bitter, bitter cold. You're like Oedipus, except with living in the snow rather than killing your father. And the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. one comment about suicide, one comment about patricide.

    you bring out the best in everyone, zakku.

    ReplyDelete